Given the pending iPhone OS 3.0 announcement on Tuesday I spent a few minutes putting together my personal wish list:
- Universal inbox for email - this is the only thing that truly annoys me with the current design. I have both personal and corporate email on phone and have to constantly move between inboxes.
- Better support for enterprise wi-fi - I can’t connect to my corporate wi-fi network. This is even after I used the iPhone Configuration Utility.
- Better support for legacy VPNs - I can’t connect to my client’s VPN, their VPN hardware appears to be earlier then the iPhone supported version.
- Ability to click on phone numbers in calendar notifications - when I have conference calls its a constant pain that I can’t click on the conference call number from the calendar notification. I have to write it down then switch to the phone dialer.
- Better contact list performance for 1000’s of contacts - I have over 1000 contacts in my address book and performance, while not terrible, isn’t snappy either.
- Better handling of large (multi-megabyte) word and excel attachments - I regularly get emailed 2-3MB email attachments. The iPhone hangs on them. I would much prefer if it either refused to open them or displayed the first pages without hanging. PDF files don’t suffer the same problem.
- API support for background applications (notification api) - It would be fantastic if the phone allowed applications to register background routines for IM/Twitter/etc. type applications.
- Sync of to-do’s - the phone doesn’t support to-do synchronization at all yet. You need a third party application to get this.
- Voice dialing - I don’t miss this feature as much as I thought I would but I still feel it’s lack on a regular basis.
- Copy and paste - like voice dialing this isn’t that big of an issue for me, though there are times I miss it.
- Turn-by-turn gps - I don’t really expect this one but it would be wonderful if it happened.
- Video recording - I’ve seen video recording on jail broken iPhones and it doesn’t look very good. This one probably needs additional hardware support to work well.
- Ability to change bottom “fixed” icons - I would swap the iPod icon for the calendar icon in a heartbeat. Update: As Dustin pointed out, I completely missed this. It’s already in the iPhone. I smiled as soon as I tried it.